A century since the war ended. While other wars have happened, are happening, and will happen. But 100 years ago yesterday the guns stopped.
Jimmy Kimmel: Americans aren’t that divided!
New Yorker: A hundred years of American protest, then and now.
Physics Girl: How to make a square vortex ring.
- Stephen: The midterms have Stephen feeling… emotions
- WaPo: How historic are women’s gains in Congress?
- Full Frontal: Meanwhile in Texas
- Jimmy Kimmel: Midterms
- Seth Meyers: Democrats take back the House and The Dotard fires Jeff Sessions
- Stephen crunches the mid-terms
- Vox: What happens when women win elections?
- Jonathan Mann: Brian Kemp should be thrown in jail:
- Jimmy Kimmel: Midterm election results
- Stephen: The midterms news that wasn’t bad
- Jimmy Fallon: Rachel Maddow gets lost behind election boards
- Heads of State: An election day message from Dotard Трамп
- Amber says what: Midterm elections, Donald daters
- Stephen with Alex Wagner and John Heilemann: The Dems’ House win is a Big Fucking Deal!
- Samantha Bee: Get your fudgin’ money out of my democracy!
- Randy Rainbow: Voting!
- Stephen: A Florida recount? Where have we seen this before?
- Samantha Bee: Stacey Abrams v. everybody
- Vox: The big lie Republicans are telling this election
- Bill Maher: Split decision
- Key and Peele: The Black Republicans strike again
- Stephen: Midterms 2018—The good, the bad, and Ted Cruz
- Трамп: and the 7 deadly sins
- Late Show: How to concede to a dead politician:
- Stephen: The worst intern assignment at the White House
- Seth Meyers: 2018 midterms elections
- Jim Jefferies: You’ve voted for the best, now check out the rest
- Samantha Bee: That went OK!
- Stephen: Cartoon Dotard Трамп, “The midterms are all about me… maybe”
- Vox: Why every election gets its own crisis
- James Corden: Трамп’s crazy day after historic midterm elections
- Seth Meyers: Democrats take control of the House
- Stephen sings “We’re stuck in this together”
Mental Floss: Beer facts and life hacks.
Trevor with Cory Booker: Bending the arc of the moral universe toward justice in America
Robert Reich: It’s time for Medicare for all.
Jimmy Kimmel: We must protect Ruth Bader Ginsburg at all costs.
Stephen: Protect Ruth Bader Ginsburg at all costs.
John Oliver: Immigration, invasions, and family separation.
The Dotard Трамп And Other Losers:
- Late Night: Point, Counterpoint—The migrant caravan, birthright citizenship, 2018 midterm elections
- Trevor: Трамп’s anti-press press conference and Jeff Sessions’s forced resignation
- Seth Meyers: Trump freaks out after Democrats win House
- Stephen: Jeff Sessions bids Stephen adieu
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп Jr. dating Gavin Newsom’s ex-wife
- WaPo: What “acting AG” Matthew Whitaker has said about the Russia investigation
- The Atlantic: Трамп is trying to change “what it means to be American”:
- Bill Maher: The slow-moving coup
- Stephen: Трамп and Putin’s weekend in Paris
- Late Show: The White House’s exaggerated Acosta videos
- WaPo: Трамп’s temper tantrum
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп loses his shit as presser
- Lauren Mayer: Caravan!
- Stephen: The Dotard mocks GOP candidates who didn’t embrace him
- Trevor with Jamil Smith: How Трампism prevails even as Трамп is refuted
- WaPo: Fact-checking The Dotard’s post-election out-of-control press conference
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп only hires the best people
- Trevor: The Dotard Tweets a meme at Iran and India erects a record-breaking statue
- Mark Fiore: The Victory Presser.
- Bill Maher: Bob Woodward, Fear
- Stephen: Hasan Minhaj won’t say Трамп’s name on his show
- Jimmy Kimmel: Team Трамп spreading doctored Jim Acosta video:
- WaPo: Watch two versions of Acosta video side-by-side
- Jimmy Kimmel: The Dotard couldn’t even fire Jeff Sessions himself
- Trevor: Jeff Sessions, you’re fired. Guy from CNN, you’re hired.
- Stephen with Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Трамп’s AG appointment is unconstitutional
NowThisWorld: Violent extremism in the U.S..
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Jeff Sessions is a piece of shit. Obviously fuck him for ever. And yet, his successor is going to be worse. This seems to be the story of the Trump administration. There is no bottom.
We recently hired a new college graduate. I am a little thrown by her using phrases sincerely that I would only make with a hint (or more) of irony. I don’t know what to do with “woot” when it’s just a genuine expression of happiness.
I guess my question is, is this confusion how the olds feel when I use “rad”?
Game on, boys and girls! It’s election day, and the polls have closed in half the states.
Kindly note that this is an election thread. Keep on topic or kindly shuttle your ass to the open thread below.
I’m headed to Drinking Liberally now, so surprise me with your insights in the comment thread.
6:01: Well…at least Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) has won!
6:04: Beto still leads by a hair. And Klobuchar (D-MN) has won.
6:05: Looks like Felons in Florida are going to be able to help elect the next President!
6:07: Cool…I am just getting caught up here after arriving at DL. Hey…a D is leading in NE for Gov? Interesting.
6:16: My early assessment is that this is not really a blue wave. More like a blue splash. There are some very pleasing results, like Ted Cruz trailing a punk rocker–Ted Cruz is a weasely punk. But many races are going, more or less, as expected.
I feel like people are not making a big enough deal about Florida restoring voting rights to formerly incarcerated people. There are about 1.5M people (20% of FL’s Af-Am adult population)who stand to benefit from this. In 2016, Trump won Florida by just over 100,000 votes.
— ana marie cox (@anamariecox) November 7, 2018
Donna Shalala flipped the second House seat of the night for Democrats on Tuesday by beating Republican Maria Elvira Salazar. https://t.co/f4i4tDLKGA
— Stone Cold (@stonecold2050) November 7, 2018
Many of you hear “Donna Shalala” and think, “Oh yeah, Clinton’s HSS secretary.” But Donna Shalala was the Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin—Madison when I earned two degrees. She signed my diplomas. I’ve chatted with her. So…cool.
6:59: WOW! Kansas! Gov!
— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) November 7, 2018
Looks like everything is going to come out just as expected. D’s take House by OK margin but not blowout, R’s gain a little ground in the Senate. D’s gain some governorships and state houses.
— Samuel Minter (@abulsme) November 7, 2018
Look at it this way. We won't have Attorney General Ted Cruz.
— Joan McCarter (@joanmccarter) November 7, 2018
7:21: MSNBC is now calling the House for Democrats.
The NYT currently projects a national popular-vote margin of D+9.2%. For comparison, the last five largest margins, considered wave elections:
By historical standards, it's a popular wave.https://t.co/IRkQLDZ2dX
— Sam Wang (@SamWangPhD) November 7, 2018
HELL YES THEY ARE.
Three flipped gov seats. A whole bunch of House flips. A whole bunch of down-ballot statewides. https://t.co/YUUyfiacaK
— Christina Reynolds (@creynoldsnc) November 7, 2018
Good. We fucking hate you. https://t.co/DBkbSf8heT
— Mike (@vidae01) November 7, 2018
It’s been a wild couple of years feeling like our democracy has been held together with spit and bailing wire. Today, we’ve wheeled ‘er into the pits to clean off the grunge, replace some nuts and a few bolts, do some serious alignment and, perhaps, a rebuilt the top end. Please join us Tuesday evening for an Election Day rally at the Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally.
But, before you stop by, if you haven’t done so please be sure to return your ballot in a drop-box. Here’s how you can find a ballot drop box near you.
We meet every Tuesday at the Roanoke Park Place Tavern, 2409 10th Ave E, Seattle. You’ll find us in the room at the rear of the tavern for our usual 8pm starting time. For election night, some of us will show up much earlier.
The Roanoke will have TVs tuned to election coverage. They have free WiFi. And you can buy drinks! If you insist on hearing every word of coverage, bring headphones and a device to stream audio. What can I say? Bars can be noisy.
We’ll be live-blogging the election right here.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Check out one of the 259 chapters of Living Liberally, including 22 in Washington state, seven in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find a chapter near you. Or consider starting your own chapter.
Please vote. Get your ballot postmarked or dropped off by tomorrow, Washington. Vote for a cleaner environment. Vote for holding team baby cages accountable. Vote because all of the trolls here are voting, and you don’t want them to have more power than you. Vote because corporations can spend millions of dollars on initiatives and candidates, but ultimately you get to decide.
Samantha Bee: Larry Krasner—Finally a good DA?.
Robert Reich: The American social contract
Nancy Pelosi: Chocolate taste test.
The Orange Nationalist, Dotard Трамп, and Other Sociopaths:
- Trevor: Трамп rallies his base and Florida faces big midterm election decisions
- Stephen: Трамп warns of “young, strong” men in the caravan
- Rachel Maddow: U.S. military assessment of caravan doesn’t match Трамп’s panic
- Seth Meyers: Trump attacks the media as his allies blame “both sides” for violence
- WaPo: How a group of Democratic women are using postcards to cope during the Трамп administration
- Chris Hayes: Politics leads to breakups, like the Kanye West–Dotard Трамп bromance
- Jimmy Kimmel: Woman allegedly offered money to accuse Mueller of sexual assault
- Late Show: Pharrell isn’t “happy” with Dotard Трамп:
- Robert Reich: The truth about Трамп’s economy
- Seth Meyers: The tiny voice in the back of Dotard Трамп’s head—You look terrible in windbreakers
- Trevor: Трамп and FAUX News’s caravan hysteria reaches a fever pitch
- Stephen: A Twitter troll tried to frame Robert Mueller
- Jim Jefferies: How The Dotard and the GOP deflect blame
- Late Show: The Caravan—A Donald J. Trump film
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп’s reaction to pipe bombs & synagogue shooting
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Трамп, fearing mueller and a Democratic house, campaigns on fear
- Seth Meyers: The tiny voice in the back of Dotard Трамп’s head—You’ve turned this into a freak show
- Jimmy Fallon: Outtakes of Dotard Трамп’s campaign message to every U.S. state
- Stephen: A nation of immigrants is being told to fear immigrants
- Trevor: Connecting Трамп’s rhetoric to domestic terrorism
- Jimmy Kimmel: Pharrell & Kanye Not Happy with Трамп
- Rachel Maddow: Road map for Nixon impeachment published, could guide Robert Mueller
- Robert Reich: Трамп’s 30 biggest broken promises
- Seth Meyers: The tiny voice in the back of Dotard Трамп’s head—Time to face your nemesis
- Late Show: Harry Potter and the open book of Трамп
- Trevor: Nazi Halloween and Трамп birthright bullshit
- Jimmy Fallon: Dotard Трамп’s Halloween message to America
- Stephen: The Dotard thinks the migrant caravan is on Twitter
- Rachel Maddow: Documents expose Dotard Трамп’s border deployment as political stunt
- Seth Meyers: The tiny voice in the back of Dotard Трамп’s head—We’re about to face a problem
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп plans to end birthright citizenship
Roll Call: Congressional hits and misses.
Jim Jefferies: Staying healthy is actually killing us.
Wendover: The magic economics of gambling.
Comics discuss the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting.
- WaPo: How ranked choice voting could tip the scales in Maine’s tight 2nd District
- How on amazing woman has gotten hundreds of people to the polls
- Amber Ruffin Wants you to vote or else:
- All In: A wave of African American women elected in Tennessee
- Samantha Bee’s Quest to get you to vote (with Patton Oswalt)
- Trevor: Andrew Gillum—Winning hearts and minds in Florida’s gubernatorial race.
- WaPo Opinion: This Трамп campaign ad doesn’t mention Трамп in its closing argument
- Roll Call: 25 ratings changes less than a week before midterms.
- Mark Fiore: Operation midterm demagogue.
- Vox: Why American voter registrations are disappearing.
- Willie Nelson: “Vote ‘Em Out”:
- Stephen: Oprah’s new favorite thing—Campaigning in Georgia.
- Trevor: Florida politicians go bilingual for the Hispanic vote.
- Meet the people powering the blue wave.
The Atlantic: Holocaust survivors remember Kristallnacht.
Jimmy Kimmel: The week in unnecessary censorship.
The Altlantic: You should be worried about your DNA privacy.
- Trevor: Caravan fear-mongering
- WaPo: How anti-Semitism persists in the United States
- Seth Meyers: Трамп’s racist fearmongering is his latest scam
- Stephen: FAUX News’ Lou Dobbs mispronounced a Mexican City into existence
- Samantha Bee: We need to talk about anti-Semitism.
- HeadsOfState: Трамп discusses white, right-wing terrorism
- Trevor’s 10-year-old brother explains race.
- Chris Hayes: GOP Representative Steve King blows up at constituent
- Samantha Bee: Steve King is the racist-est
- Stephen: Hate is not what America stands for
Roy Wood, Jr.: Black Floridians who made history.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Vote. Get your ballot postmarked or dropped off by Tuesday. Volunteer.
The country is in trouble, and it will be after the election. There is no magic trick to fix it. But Democrats in Congress is a step forward. It means checks on executive power. It means we can push for more universal health care. It means we can push environmental legislation. You can help.
I am rereading Don Quixote for the first time in decades. I’m not very far into it this time, but the good stuff is as good as I remember. The windmills hold up. The book burning is great: I had forgotten that it has a discussion of an earlier Cervantes book. So good!
But Christ on the Cross, the stuff that roots it in its time is not good in ways that I had forgotten about! A long digression about how you can’t trust Arabs, yikes. I remember some of these things, but it’s worse than I remember.
Have you voted yet? If not, do not delay! Fill out that ballot and drop it in a mailbox on your way to the Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Check out one of the 256 chapters of Living Liberally, including 22 in Washington state, seven in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find a chapter near you. Or consider starting your own chapter.
Nobody murder anyone. Not at Shabbat. No pipe bombs. Don’t shoot anyone in a Kroger parking lot. Just don’t. Just because the President said something. Or you’re scared of people who aren’t white Christians.
Seth Meyers: Wrong take.
Second Thoughts: Why the IPCC report is so scary.
Robert Reich: Message to millennials:
Mental Floss: Spooky Halloween facts!
Roll Call: Congressional hits and misses.
Jimmy Kimmel: This week in unnecessary censorship.
The Atlantic: Don’t blame social media for violence
Kurzgesagt: Why beautiful things make us happy.
Nationalist Dotard Трамп and other Pre-existing Conditions:
- WaPo Opinion: In the age of Трамп, this was absolutely predictable
- Stephen: Ted Cruz goes from “lyin” to “beautiful”
- Jimmy Kimmel: The Dotard Трамп loves talking about the Space Force
- Samantha Bee: Trans rights under attack by the Dotard Трамп.
- Late Show: Трамп stars in new Ted Cruz campaign ad
- James Corden: We’ve got tapes from Трамп’s bugged cell phone
- Ari Melber: Rep. Jeffries—Трамп shows “depraved indifference to human life”
- Jimmy Kimmel: Drunk Dotard Трамп thinks women are beautiful
- Stephen: The Dotard paints a false portrait of the migrant caravan
- Ali Velshi: Dotard Трамп’s lies: health care claims opposite of GOP goals
- WaPo: Targets of Трамп’s words become targets of bombs
- Jimmy Kimmel: Russian trolls reveal how they interfere with elections.
- Seth Meyers: Трамп campaigns for Republicans, calls Democrats an “angry mob”
- Stephen: Трамп says he won’t let Russia “do weapons”
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп’s new ad for Ted Cruz
- Ari Melber: Трамп’s Mexico ambassador calls him out—His rhetoric hurts diplomacy
- Seth Meyers: Late Night White House press conference!
- Stephen: Трамп won’t stop using his phone that’s being spied on
- Rachel Maddow: Dotard Трамп is sharing sensitive info on insecure phone worries U.S. intel
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп tell-all book of the month club
- Trevor: Big little allies
- WaPo: Трамп’s bomb response devolves into blame game
- Jimmy Fallon: Dotard Трамп’s message to midterm election voters outtakes
- Seth Meyers: Трамп says he’s “being nice” while lying about health care
- Stephen: The Dotard Трамп doesn’t have a “civil” gear
- Late Show: U.S. troops mobilize to stop the caravan
- Jimmy Kimmel: China & Russia listening to Трамп’s personal calls
- Songify the News: I like beer:
- Samantha Bee: Asylum seekers aren’t scary
- Stephen: Oh boy, The Dotard broke out the “N” word
- Jimmy Kimmel: “I don’t know what the hell he’s talking about” drunk Dotard Трамп
- Ali Velshi: The Dotard Трамп denies cellphone use in Tweet from iPhone
- Mark Fiore: The really dangerous caravan.
- WaPo: Numerous pipe bombs sent to prominent critics of The Dotard
- Trevor: Filling the swamp
- Ari Melber: Hypocrisy—Watch Трамп get demolished over hacked iPhone
- Seth Meyers: Drumpf responds to democrats and CNN being targeted by bombs.
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп’s pipe bomb hypocrisy
Real Engineering: Can we block the sun to stop climate change.
Late Show: One question with Hillary Clinton.
The Daily Show: Black girl midterm magic.
Bill Maher: Peak Florida .
Comics take on Megyn Kelly’s black face comment.
Late Show: Tuesday The 6th: Voting Day:
The Atlantic: Men are socialized to “act inhumanely”.
Amber Ruffin addresses Megyn Kelly asking if blackface is racist.
New Yorker: Andy Borowitz & Adam Schiff on how Democrats can win.
Robert Reich: The next crash.
Jimmy Kimmel: Utah Senator tries marijuana for the first time.
WaPo Opinion: Political ads want you to be afraid. Very afraid.
Minute Physics: Legitimate cold fusion exists.
Lauren Mayer: Doin’ The Deficit Side Step:
Rachel Maddow: New data shows why NC Republicans want to end Sunday voting.
Full Frontal: The rainbow wave is coming.
Late Show: How Saudi Arabia is reporting the news
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
So, black face. I don’t really care about Megyn Kelly. She and her millions of dollars will be fine. But her cruelty was toxic. Ratings were down. It works on Fox News. It works for segments of the Internet. But for a network morning show, it turned more people away than it brought in.
And then she was cool with black face. Don’t ever do that, obviously. But especially don’t if you’re on thin ice.
Been a busy morning, so I haven’t had a chance to write anything.